Dermal fillers are a popular cosmetic treatment used to improve the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and volume loss. While results vary depending on the type of filler used, most dermal fillers provide temporary results that last for several months to a year. Additionally, the results of dermal fillers can be customized for each individual, meaning you can choose how long you want your results to last.
If you’re considering dermal fillers, you may be wondering how long the results will last. Keep reading to learn more about the average lifespan of different types of dermal fillers and what you can do to prolong your results.
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
The results of dermal fillers depend on the type of filler used. The most common types of dermal fillers are made from hyaluronic acid, a substance that naturally occurs in the body. Because these fillers are already present in the body, they are typically well-tolerated and have a lower risk of serious side effects.
The average lifespan of dermal fillers made from hyaluronic acid is around 6 to 12 months. However, results may last longer or shorter depending on the individual and the type of filler used. For example, thinner fillers tend to break down more quickly than thicker ones. Additionally, the area of the face injected with filler can also affect how long the results last.
Dermal fillers made from other substances, such as calcium hydroxylapatite or poly-L-lactic acid, may last for 12 months or longer. However, these types of dermal fillers are less common and may be associated with more side effects.
What Factors Affect the Longevity of Dermal Fillers?
In addition to the type of filler used, there are a few other factors that can affect how long dermal filler results last.
● The most important factors are the individual’s age, skin type, and lifestyle. For example, younger patients with oily skin may break down fillers more quickly than older patients with dry skin. Additionally, smokers tend to break down dermal fillers more quickly than non-smokers.
● The area of the face injected with filler can also affect results. Fillers injected into areas with a lot of movement, such as the lips, may not last as long as fillers injected into areas with less movement, such as the cheeks.
● Dermal fillers are also more likely to last longer in patients who have a good skincare routine and protect their skin from the sun.
How Can I Prolong the Results of Dermal Fillers?
There are a few things you can do to prolong the results of your dermal fillers:
● Choose a thicker filler. Thicker fillers tend to last longer than thinner ones.
● Inject fillers into areas with less movement. Areas of the face that don’t move as much, such as the cheeks, tend to break down fillers more slowly than areas with a lot of movement, such as the lips.
● Be mindful of your skincare routine. A good skincare routine, including sunscreen and antioxidants, can help to prolong the results of your dermal fillers.
If you’re considering dermal fillers in Calgary, it’s important to choose a qualified injector who can help you achieve your desired results. Dermal fillers in Calgary are now popular, so make sure to do your research and only visit a reputable clinic.